Skip to main content

Still on that high horse

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
(Sometimes attributed to Abe Lincoln or Mark Twain) 

May be based on:

Proverbs 17:28 
Even a fool, when he holds his peace, is counted wise: and he that shuts his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.


Some may remember I blogged back in January about people being on their high horse, and I appreciate the response from everyone. So much so that I once again feel compelled to further address the same subject, which is how we have made a mockery out of our supposed principles. We say we stand for something, but that is only when it’s convenient or popular to do so. We love to talk on social media, but do nothing in the real world. Case in point is the reaction to Kathy Griffin’s comedy, or whatever she calls it, about the president.

     Let me first say for the record I have never thought Kathy Griffin was that funny, and it is personal for me when people talk of violence against the president. If you know my background then you might know why, and if you know me then you know I mean all people and any president.

     The way some people have reacted it’s like this is the first time they have heard someone propose violence against the president. This leaves me wondering how they missed the past eight years. You see I personally heard people in the media wish harm on the last president on a number of occasions. Yet no outrage from one group because this person, Ted Nugent, was on their side. Today same thing, the other side says nothing against Kathy Griffin because she is on their side. When you watch people do the same or similar things and you persecute one and ignore the other you are a hypocrite plain and simple.

     Now let me share at this point I don’t really care that much about what some comedian, rock star, or actor says because they are just people like any of us. Their opinion is not any more enlightened or true because of their status. What really bothers me is that for eight years I came to work and had to hear people openly talking about how they wished someone would kill Obama. At no time in memory did any of my righteous, intelligent, or enlightened co-workers say to these individuals that was inappropriate. Yet on the social media and in public conversation they are just outraged at Kathy Griffin and anyone in the media, or on social media, that speaks one bad thing against Trump.

     Two quick points if you please. One this is where the quote above comes in. If people decided to remain silent sometimes instead of spouting hate and false information then no one would know they were a fool. Even when you think you are right it doesn’t hurt to try listening instead of talking, because you may learn something you didn’t know. Open your mind to the possibilities that exist.

     Secondly if you’re not going to be a fair person, or you realize you can’t be fair in a circumstance for personal reasons, then stop acting like you are about unity or you’re at some higher level than everybody. Just admit that like all humans you have bias. When you can admit that maybe you can grow past them, but until you do it will be the wall that blocks you from unifying. The barrier that prevents you and us from growing to reach our potential. 

     That horse can get so high that you think you are greater than the rest of us, but when you fall off and hit the ground you’ll realize that it wasn’t real. You were not real.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Covers

 So for my series LIGHT & DARK I've decided to go with a simple cover and keep a consistent look throughout the series. Here are a couple of potential covers for the first book 'MONSTERS'. All feedback is appreciated! 1.           2.   3.           4.  

FAILURE (Personal)

Throughout my life I have had failures. Anyone that saw me try to play basketball, run track, and wrestle in high school can attest that my athletic career was a failure. I took test in school that I should have got an 'A' on if I had studied and applied myself, and the times I didn't prepare and didn't get an 'A' I consider it a failure. Even more so in the academic realm, I never finished my bachelor's degree in Engineering. Just years worth of credits sitting in limbo to remind me of my failure to finish when many people made sacrifices so I could achieve a higher education. As many know I have never been married and have no children, which I also consider to be a failure on my part. Most importantly, in my walk I have committed sins knowing that it separates my from my savior. Doing it in full knowledge of what Jesus did for me. I have been a failure at living the life that he wants me to live. I say these things to let you know that I understand failure

For the Love of the Game

So I am a fan of sports, in particular track and field. Now I am not a fanatic. I watch sports and have even tried to play some, but I just enjoy it. It is not anywhere near a priority in life. I probably would have it higher on my list if I had ever been any good at something I played, but unfortunately I was not meant to be an athlete.      Alright enough pontificating, my big word for the day. Time to get to the heart of this post which is playing sports. I feel that everyone should because it helps you become part of a team in many instances, which we all are whether we realize it or not. It also teaches life lessons in perseverance, dealing with stress, improving yourself, setting goals, winning, losing, and how you grow from all the experiences you will have while playing.      Most importantly in sports is the notion of playing fair. I don't care if the person or team I like losses, well that is not completely true, but no matter if they do I just want it to be fair. I