Skip to main content

RIDE OR DIE

Somewhere around early the early two thousands or actually late nineties people started talking about "Ride or Die". I think it might have started as an expression for people in the biker lifestyle. It probably was used in the past and came back into prominence. Its used now as an expression to say how far you will go for someone or something. Other statements akin to it could be Womb to Tomb, Cradle to Grave, To Hell and Back, Stand by Your Man, All for One and One for All. Maybe the last two are a stretch, but you get what I'm saying.
     A person is willing to do "X" for you, which could include a personal sacrifice up to and including them dying or sometimes even killing for you at the extreme. On the lower end of the scale it could just be looking past some of your flaws or faults and treating you like your worth gold or as simple as always answering drunken text and phone calls in the middle of the night. Having someone that you know is there for you and will continue to be despite what life throws at you.
      I have been giving some thought to people in my life that say we are friends. They say I'm there for you and I have or will do "X" for you if necessary. Now I am glad that I have people that at least on the surface seem like they will be there for me when times get rough. Not everybody has people in their corner. Some out there know that they have actually been there for me, taking me to my surgeries and back. Even taking leave from work and spending time away from your own family to do so. Putting up with my post surgery still very high self, when you didn't have to, and I will always be grateful. Some people even read my writings and still encourage me, despite how bad they are, and I do appreciate your efforts.
     Now here is an observation that I want to share. As I have lived this life I have started to understand that we sometimes do "X" for each other because the other person will do "X" for us as well, and that is easy. I've gotten comfortable in what I have done or am willing to do for people I know. Feeling good about myself like I'm there, and I don't need to do more. The real measure is can we do "X" for someone who doesn't do it back. Can we do it for a stranger. How about someone that doesn't look, talk, or think like you. Yeah your okay with that one guy that isn't like you or isn't part of your family, but what about the countless others out there? Could you imagine if we all were willing to do "X" for everybody, if we would "Ride or Die" for humanity what the world would be like.
      So what got me to thinking about this is some conversations I've had lately. I've started to feel like some friends and even family out there believe they are doing a great service by just saying they will do "X" for me or just because they treat me kindly or respectfully or even because were related. Some have even gone as far as saying and believing this act alone makes them okay with a certain group of people or even to a higher extent, with God. Listen I am just me, and saying or even doing for me is not the end, its just the beginning because I'm somebody you know. Somebody that tries to give more than he gets, and is always thankful to people. Don't assume things are great between me and you or you and other associated people because something you have done or think you did for me. Check yourself and reflect on how you think about, what you've said about, and how you treat all people, not just me.
     As I end this thought let me say I am not advocating the negative ideas around some of the sayings I used. Please do not put up with someone living a life contrary to Jesus teachings just because of valued friendship. Real friends care enough to question, not just sit by and watch each other go down a bad path. Its not just the ride and then death, but care about what comes after.
     Also when I say "X" I mean helping and giving, doing positive things. I have known people who would share the last bit of food they had with a stranger, and I am saying I need to get to that kind of place in my personal walk. For those who believe you know that someone came and gave everything for people who are completely undeserving, and we need to strive to follow that example.

Thank you as always to those who read my ramblings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Covers

 So for my series LIGHT & DARK I've decided to go with a simple cover and keep a consistent look throughout the series. Here are a couple of potential covers for the first book 'MONSTERS'. All feedback is appreciated! 1.           2.   3.           4.  

For the Love of the Game

So I am a fan of sports, in particular track and field. Now I am not a fanatic. I watch sports and have even tried to play some, but I just enjoy it. It is not anywhere near a priority in life. I probably would have it higher on my list if I had ever been any good at something I played, but unfortunately I was not meant to be an athlete.      Alright enough pontificating, my big word for the day. Time to get to the heart of this post which is playing sports. I feel that everyone should because it helps you become part of a team in many instances, which we all are whether we realize it or not. It also teaches life lessons in perseverance, dealing with stress, improving yourself, setting goals, winning, losing, and how you grow from all the experiences you will have while playing.      Most importantly in sports is the notion of playing fair. I don't care if the person or team I like losses, well that is not completely true, but no matter if they do I just want it to be fair. I

THRONES I

In a far away land there was an Empire with a population that was divided on how the society should be run and who should rule them. Because of the division, very distinct groups formed over time. Nearly half wanted to keep with tradition, while an almost identical sized part of the population favored forgetting the past. The first group was called Traditionalist and the second group was called Progressivist. There is a third smaller group, Indies, that see the value in maintaining traditions, but also knows that without progress there will be stagnation, which has been the downfall of many Empires.       For a long time the Empire had been the unchallenged power of their world, but in the last few decades that preeminence was slipping. It was a time of peril for the land as crops did not produce as they had before. Many lost their farms and homes and had to beg for help so they would not perish. A seemingly never ending war against an enemy, that could be in lands far and wide or