Skip to main content

MATH I


*So I wrote this last year and didn't release it. Thought I might post it and see what people think.

Let me drop a little math real quick, so maybe some people out there can better understand a few of my realities. I'm making this about race, but this is in fact the reality for many people for a variety of reasons beyond just race. When you are a minority in whatever sense of the word this is what you are up against.

So I live in Rhea County TN and here are is a little breakdown of the population taken from Census Data:
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/rheacountytennessee

Population estimates, July 1, 2018, 33,044

Race and Hispanic Origin
White alone, not Hispanic or Latino                                90.0%
Black or African American alone                                         2.2%
American Indian and Alaska Native                                    0.6%
Asian alone                                                                              0.6%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone            0.1%
Two or More Races                                                                1.9%
Hispanic or Latino                                                                  5.4%

**Note the estimates go over 100%. You can go to the site and see that the way people identify as White/Hispanic and more than one race seems to cause discrepancies. These are estimates, so take it at that.
   
      Here is just a scenario based on the numbers above. So you have 100 people of which approximately 2 are black and 90 are white. Now out of those 90 say perhaps 5 decide they just hate the 2. So 5 out of 90 is just 5/90 = 5.5% which the other 85 would say "well 5%, that's not that bad", but unfortunately the 2 would say" hey that 5 is more than double us".

     This is just a hypothetical, but I'm using it to illustrate a point about being in the minority. You wield little power and if even a small percentage of the majority decides to do whatever to you, your outnumbered. The only remedy is if that small percentage is checked or stopped. Now I have related some instances to people before were I was in places that I could have been in danger just because of my race. I survived, and in some ways continue to survive such places, and I always hope maybe meeting me had an impact on peoples preconceived notions. Yet what really needs to put the small percentage in check is the large percentage, but they for whatever reason stay in the background remaining silent. Silent when a family member or friend says and does things against minorities. Stands by while people at work spew hatred for certain people and defend the words and actions of others who do the same, but suddenly want to silence any talk against the people in power they hold dear. I am speaking nicely but the few people who read this will now what I meant by my last sentence.
    I wrote this just to encourage the large percentage to do what is right. People see situations and they just turn a blind eye. They know something is wrong and they don't speak up. They are the majority, they are part of the large percentage and they cower to the small percentage. For me I am not afraid to speak against whatever, but my voice will be shouted down by the small percentage unless some of the large percentage joins me. So I say to them next time hatred and division is being spewed, join in the voices encouraging love and unity! DON'T BE AFRAID!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Covers

 So for my series LIGHT & DARK I've decided to go with a simple cover and keep a consistent look throughout the series. Here are a couple of potential covers for the first book 'MONSTERS'. All feedback is appreciated! 1.           2.   3.           4.  

For the Love of the Game

So I am a fan of sports, in particular track and field. Now I am not a fanatic. I watch sports and have even tried to play some, but I just enjoy it. It is not anywhere near a priority in life. I probably would have it higher on my list if I had ever been any good at something I played, but unfortunately I was not meant to be an athlete.      Alright enough pontificating, my big word for the day. Time to get to the heart of this post which is playing sports. I feel that everyone should because it helps you become part of a team in many instances, which we all are whether we realize it or not. It also teaches life lessons in perseverance, dealing with stress, improving yourself, setting goals, winning, losing, and how you grow from all the experiences you will have while playing.      Most importantly in sports is the notion of playing fair. I don't care if the person or team I like losses, well that is not completely true, but no matter if they do I just want it to be fair. I

THRONES I

In a far away land there was an Empire with a population that was divided on how the society should be run and who should rule them. Because of the division, very distinct groups formed over time. Nearly half wanted to keep with tradition, while an almost identical sized part of the population favored forgetting the past. The first group was called Traditionalist and the second group was called Progressivist. There is a third smaller group, Indies, that see the value in maintaining traditions, but also knows that without progress there will be stagnation, which has been the downfall of many Empires.       For a long time the Empire had been the unchallenged power of their world, but in the last few decades that preeminence was slipping. It was a time of peril for the land as crops did not produce as they had before. Many lost their farms and homes and had to beg for help so they would not perish. A seemingly never ending war against an enemy, that could be in lands far and wide or