Skip to main content

Your silence speaks louder than your words



So its MLK Day and I happened to hear this quote and it struck a nerve with me. I find it to be very true in my own life. It hurts me deeply that people who say they are my friend, and to an extent even family, will talk all day about certain things and remain silent on others. Now I get it, we don't know everything, we are not up to date on every situation, some things affect us more personally than others. I guess maybe that's why it hurts, because I have watched as so called friends placed things ahead of me that I thought would not have been.
     Now I am not the most important thing in this world. Please do not mistake this as being about how I am greater than everything in your life. I would never ask people to place me before their husband/wife, children, mother/father, roof over their head, or food on their table. I am not at all necessary for any one's existence. I live to not depend on anyone but the Most High, and as far as I know I have no dependants, so the world will keep going on on just fine when I leave.
     Like I said personal things cause us to be more vocal. I am currently around a lot of people who are worried about someone taking their guns away. So I get that it is going to be a topic of conversation as people discuss things that might affect their second amendment rights, because they believe that to be of utmost importance. Some others are worried about school and society indoctrinating their children to not believe in Christianity, and again its going to be on their lips. Me myself, issues of race, feeling like an underdog, crime and violence, my interest in writing books, these can all be at the forefront of my thoughts because of my life experience. It is nothing but human to be this way. We want to talk about things that worry us, things that personally affect us and the ones we love, things that maybe we think haven't gotten enough focus.
     So am I asking for people suddenly to drop everything and focus on the problems with race in this country? Maybe we should forget about prayer in school and shift all attention to making sure they don't come in my house to take my guns. Forget that we are running up huge national debt, no lets all just talk about how good UT will be in football next year. You might laugh but some people spend all day on sports teams twitter feeds, and that's all they want to discuss.
     No what I'm saying is take some time for reflection every once and a while. Think about what and who you have prioritized in your life. Think about others and how things may be important to them that's not that important to you. Don't change yourself or your opinion to fit them, just walk in their shoes a little bit, and consider why something is important. Maybe if we openly share and discuss we could learn and see why something could be important or maybe not that important when we think about it. 
     Now I couldn't write this without sharing the truth on something. In 2017 when the incidents in Charlottesville, VA took place I was hurt by people around me and their response or lack thereof. Some only wanted to talk about the opposing groups fighting. Got that, it was true that people were fighting, some guy had a homemade flame thrower he used, another guy shot warning shots with his gun. All who broke the law should be arrested and sentenced. The thing is more than just that happened though. Completely innocent people were mowed down and many of the vocal people around me that call me friend were completely silent on the loss of life that occurred. More than happy to express their political agenda with the situation, but couldn't even acknowledge people losing their life for not sharing the same political philosophy. So that silence spoke very loudly to me then and still does now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Covers

 So for my series LIGHT & DARK I've decided to go with a simple cover and keep a consistent look throughout the series. Here are a couple of potential covers for the first book 'MONSTERS'. All feedback is appreciated! 1.           2.   3.           4.  

For the Love of the Game

So I am a fan of sports, in particular track and field. Now I am not a fanatic. I watch sports and have even tried to play some, but I just enjoy it. It is not anywhere near a priority in life. I probably would have it higher on my list if I had ever been any good at something I played, but unfortunately I was not meant to be an athlete.      Alright enough pontificating, my big word for the day. Time to get to the heart of this post which is playing sports. I feel that everyone should because it helps you become part of a team in many instances, which we all are whether we realize it or not. It also teaches life lessons in perseverance, dealing with stress, improving yourself, setting goals, winning, losing, and how you grow from all the experiences you will have while playing.      Most importantly in sports is the notion of playing fair. I don't care if the person or team I like losses, well that is not completely true, but no matter if they do I just want it to be fair. I

THRONES I

In a far away land there was an Empire with a population that was divided on how the society should be run and who should rule them. Because of the division, very distinct groups formed over time. Nearly half wanted to keep with tradition, while an almost identical sized part of the population favored forgetting the past. The first group was called Traditionalist and the second group was called Progressivist. There is a third smaller group, Indies, that see the value in maintaining traditions, but also knows that without progress there will be stagnation, which has been the downfall of many Empires.       For a long time the Empire had been the unchallenged power of their world, but in the last few decades that preeminence was slipping. It was a time of peril for the land as crops did not produce as they had before. Many lost their farms and homes and had to beg for help so they would not perish. A seemingly never ending war against an enemy, that could be in lands far and wide or