Skip to main content

My Whole House Matters

Image result for flooded house
**NOT A PICTURE OF MY ACTUAL HOUSE**  

 Some people may remember my house in Nashville flooded a few years ago. Now when I bought the house I was forced to buy flood insurance for the whole house because the den, which sits a few feet lower than the rest of the house, was in the thousand year flood zone. The den was in the problem area, but its attached to the house so MY WHOLE HOUSE MATTERS. Now the great thousand year flood came and wouldn't you know it the den flooded.
     My family, who I can't thank enough, came down to my house and fought the waters. I was out of town working. There was nothing in it for them, but because they have love in their hearts they fought for me. They know we are connected through physical and spiritual blood, so to them it was worth the effort because for them JOHN MATTERS.
     Now I get to Nashville and start cleaning up. Now as I said the den flooded. The rest of the house was fine. If you had been in the bedrooms on the opposite side of the house you might have just kicked back and ignored what was going on in the den. In the living room you might just have sat on the couch watching TV. That is until the den started affecting the rest of the house like cutting off the electricity, or mold getting in the walls.
     I call the insurance agency and they want to know where the damage is and I tell them the den. Now of course the WHOLE HOUSE MATTERS, but at that time it was the den that had a problem so I stressed to the agency that the DEN MATTERS.  They come by and look at the damage and tell me the den is classified as a basement so it doesn't get the same coverage as the rest of the house. So even though I pay for the WHOLE house and the den is the PROBLEM area, because they considered it a basement I wouldn't get the attention or money for the den that the rest of the house would have gotten.
     My family and friends could have just sat back and said your fault for living in a flood zone. I could have done nothing and complained all day to the insurance AGENCY while the den deteriorated. I could have just put my hope in the AGENCY to fix my problems for me. Instead I and my family had to make the best with what we got, and with hard work we made it happen.
     When there are problems that need solving people come together to solve it. Even when they are at a disadvantage, because they don't have all they maybe should. It takes people to make up the difference and make it better when the AGENCY doesn't solve the problem.
     MY WHOLE HOUSE MATTERS, the bedroom, the bathroom, the kitchen, all of it no matter size, color, orientation, configuration.  A problem in one room can affect the whole house if you don't pay attention. When you don't fix the problems then they spread to the other rooms, and soon they too need help. You could just get rid of the den. Separate or close it off from the rest of the house. You could just ignore it and hope it doesn't affect the rest of the house. It depends on if the den MATTERS to you or not. When you see what MATTERS you come together and fix it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Covers

 So for my series LIGHT & DARK I've decided to go with a simple cover and keep a consistent look throughout the series. Here are a couple of potential covers for the first book 'MONSTERS'. All feedback is appreciated! 1.           2.   3.           4.  

For the Love of the Game

So I am a fan of sports, in particular track and field. Now I am not a fanatic. I watch sports and have even tried to play some, but I just enjoy it. It is not anywhere near a priority in life. I probably would have it higher on my list if I had ever been any good at something I played, but unfortunately I was not meant to be an athlete.      Alright enough pontificating, my big word for the day. Time to get to the heart of this post which is playing sports. I feel that everyone should because it helps you become part of a team in many instances, which we all are whether we realize it or not. It also teaches life lessons in perseverance, dealing with stress, improving yourself, setting goals, winning, losing, and how you grow from all the experiences you will have while playing.      Most importantly in sports is the notion of playing fair. I don't care if the person or team I like losses, well that is not completely true, but no matter if they do I just want it to be fair. I

THRONES I

In a far away land there was an Empire with a population that was divided on how the society should be run and who should rule them. Because of the division, very distinct groups formed over time. Nearly half wanted to keep with tradition, while an almost identical sized part of the population favored forgetting the past. The first group was called Traditionalist and the second group was called Progressivist. There is a third smaller group, Indies, that see the value in maintaining traditions, but also knows that without progress there will be stagnation, which has been the downfall of many Empires.       For a long time the Empire had been the unchallenged power of their world, but in the last few decades that preeminence was slipping. It was a time of peril for the land as crops did not produce as they had before. Many lost their farms and homes and had to beg for help so they would not perish. A seemingly never ending war against an enemy, that could be in lands far and wide or